Worry is the brain’s attempt to be useful, and there really is no way to avoid it. From an early age we are trained to focus a large part of our attention on the future, a future which is largely unpredictable and uncontrollable. The sensation of anxiety is the human response to ambiguity, the unknown - it drives us in the direction of problem identification and solution. The neurobiology of worry feels like ‘uh oh’, which the body doesn’t like, so the brain goes on a search for problems, to identify the sense of ‘uh oh’ in order to eliminate the discomfort, the goal is getting the nervous system back into balance.
We all face challenges through our lives, some challenges are an inconvenience to deal with, while others may feel insurmountable. While family and friends can provide much needed support, sometimes it is beneficial to explore these challenges with a respectful, compassionate, objective third party, who is also a trained helper. Counselling may be beneficial if you are:
- overwhelmed by life challenges, feeling that emotions are running your show
- experiencing a lack of support from your usual network
- having difficulty managing emotions, this is often experienced as losing patience more quickly than usual, becoming easily irritated or crying for what seems like no reason
- feeling stuck in a rut, like a hamster on a wheel; or lost/without direction, like a ship without a rudder
- unable to stop self-defeating or self-sabotaging patterns of thoughts and/or behaviours
- using alcohol, drugs, gambling, or other measures as a coping strategy, which is starting to create consequences in your life
Counselling often elicits insight - seeing situations in a different light, thinking about problems in a different way, opening up alternatives to feeling 'stuck'. Counselling doesn't make problems disappear, but the therapeutic process often reduces the impact of these challenges on us, connecting us with our inherent strengths and resources, making life's burdens easier to bear. With the support of counselling, the way people carry their challenges changes: problems start to feel manageable again, people gain a deeper understanding of themselves and opportunities for making change. My assumption is that when you invest in yourself through counselling it's because you want something different for yourself - if what we're doing is working, change will happen sooner than later.
I am a Professional Member of the Canadian Counselling & Psychotherapy Association (CCPA), possessing a Canadian Certified Counsellor (CCC) designation. I work in the areas of mental health and addiction. To qualify for Certification, in addition to the required education and experience, I agree to abide by a code of ethics and standards of professional conduct. To maintain my Certification, every year I must obtain a required number of Continuing Education hours. I have a specialty in Problem Gambling and have a contract with the Provincial Government to provide free counselling for people who meet the criteria for problem gambling or are affected by a problem gambler. I am also a Qualified Insolvency Counsellor, with over ten years of experience working in Bankruptcy and Insolvency. I have many professional resources and contacts, so if I am not able to assist you myself, I may be able to point you in a helpful direction.
- Sessions for individuals are generally 50 minutes, cost per session is $100 plus GST
- Sessions for couples and families are generally 80 minutes, cost per session is $125 plus GST
- Please ask me about my sliding scale if financial hardship is a barrier to accessing services.
- Sessions are available for adults, adolescents, couples and families
- You may qualify for coverage through an Extended Health Plan, check with your insurance provider to confirm that services provided by a Canadian Certified Counsellor (Masters Level) are eligible.
- In consideration of fellow clients and myself, you will be asked to provide at least 24 hours notice for any appointment changes or cancellations, this allows me to reschedule that time period. Missed appointments and short notice cancellations will be charged the full session fee.
- Payment is requested at the end of each session and is accepted by cash or cheque
- Please feel free to call me or send an email if you'd like to arrange an appointment, 604-888-9294 or firstname.lastname@example.org